Owning a home in South Carolina comes with particular seasonal challenges. During summer, thunder, lightning and hail storms can cause substantial property damage; fall signals the start of hurricane season, and in mountain areas, frozen pipes are common in the winter. For homeowners, insurance protection is just something you can’t do without. Having home insurance means having protection for your home, both inside and out, which goes a long way towards your peace of mind.
What is homeowners insurance?
Homeowners insurance pays for losses to your home and your property inside it, so buying a homeowners insurance policy provides added security for your investment. Like renters insurance, homeowners insurance also protects you if you’re found legally responsible for someone’s injuries on your property, as well as from financial losses caused by storms, fire, theft and other events covered in your policy.
Most homeowners policies include the following coverage:
- Dwelling pays if your house is damaged or destroyed by a covered loss.
- Other Structures – Covers damage to other structures or buildings, such as a detached garage, work shed, or fencing.
- Personal property pays if the items in your house (such as furniture, clothing, and appliances) are damaged, stolen, or destroyed
- Loss of use pays your additional living expenses (housing, food, and other essential expenses) if you must temporarily move because of damage to your house from a covered loss.
- Comprehensive Personal Liability – Covers personal liability. This coverage protects you against claims arising from accidents to others on property that you own or rent.
- Medical Expense – Covers medical expenses, limited to a specific amount per person. Also covers per accident for injuries occurring on your premises to persons other than an insured, or elsewhere, if caused by you, a member of your family, or your pets. An important feature of this coverage is that payment is made regardless of legal liability.
To make shopping for the right homeowner’s policy easier, make a list of what you own to decide the level of coverage you need. Also, check with your insurance agent at least once a year to make sure your policy provides adequate coverage. The addition of a room, new insulation, or remodeling increase your home’s value, and therefore, may increase replacement cost.
Get a Free South Carolina Homeowners Insurance Quote
Driver’s Choice offers competitive rates for homeowner property insurance policies. Our home insurance programs provide a safety net for you and your family when unexpected events happen, such as theft, fire or floods. Our licensed, local insurance experts have years of experience and know your community to help you select the right coverage to protect your home and personal property. Contact us for a homeowners insurance quote by calling 877-772-4642 or request a homeowners insurance quote online by entering your information in the form at the top of the page.