Because an SR-22 is associated with high-risk auto insurance, it is important you properly file the required documents. Also, keep in mind, a teen driver designated as a high-risk driver must also file an SR-22 if required.

Here are the necessary steps:

  1. Contact a state-authorized insurance agency to request for a SR-22 filing.
  2. Pay the processing fee to the agency. You can request an online car insurance quote.
  3. As per the State laws of South Carolina, the minimum amount of coverage is as follows:
    • $25,000 for one person killed or injured
    • $50,000 for two or more persons killed or injured
    • $25,000 for property damage.
  4. Upon receiving the request from the agent the central office then sends the SR-22 directly to the Department of Motor Vehicles in about 30 days.
  5. If accepted, you will receive the SR-22 from the agency along with a letter from the DMV.
  6. The SR-22 has to be maintained for a minimum period of 36 months. If the driver does not renew it at least 15 days before the expiration date the agency notifies the State. The State may then suspend the driving record of the motorist until the insurance is reinstated. So it is a good idea to renew the SR-22 at least 45 days in advance.

Reinstatement Fees

A $100.00 reinstatement fee is required for each suspension unless another amount is required.
When a liability insurance policy is cancelled, the Notice of Cancellation of Policy (Form FR-4) is forwarded to the DMV and then forwarded to the owner. The owner is required to update the department with current insurance information or surrender the vehicle plate/registration.

Failure of the owner to submit verification that the vehicle is currently insured or advise the department of the current disposition will result in the suspension of your driver license and the vehicle plate/registration. If suspended, the owner may be required to pay a reinstatement fee up to $400.00.


If you are required to file an SR-22 in the state of South Carolina, you will have to do so through an insurance provider that is licensed to do business in the state.


An amount of up to $50,000 in cash or securities may be deposited with the State Treasurer in place of the SR-22. The driver can also file a surety bond or a real estate bond approved by a court of record.

Mailing Address:

The South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles
Driver Records
Post Office Box 1498
Blythewood, SC 29016-0028
Tel: (803) 896-5000